Now that the recipient has recipified them, I can show you a couple little tiny things. Though I hope Cece can get a better picture of Thing 1: well, I know she will, because it will have a cute little baby boy in it!
This is Tiny Thing number 1, picture taken in the predawn darkness with flash right before being sent off,
and there is a small tale of woe with this (though in the end, I was happy with the result).
Before the tiny Hulk was born, his gender was not known. I had it in my head to knit Cece’s baby something from Twisted Fiber Art‘s Ravelry colorway, because she and I met as a result of Ravelry, really (pre-BMFA Sock Camp meet-up and School Bus trip there!). I did ask if she or her husband would have a problem with the pink and green of the colorway if it were a boy….
I hoped to give it to her at Rhinebeck, but my gauge calculations were off and the hat was turning out a 6 month size, which was not what I had in mind. So I showed it to Cece, she said she loved the colorway and her husband had better well be fine with it, and I took it home to reknit.
Well, first I reknit it after frogging, and it was all weird and loosey-goosey from the frogging. So I frogged again, washed and hung, and reknit.
And then it was turning out too small!
Plus, this was Arial, Meg’s finest fingering weight — a lot of stitches, so it took a bunch of knitting just to figure some of this out.
Then, six weeks after Rhinebeck, Cece had her baby — a little early. And it was a handsome, good-sized young man. And not only was the hat turning out too small now, but the pink kept turning up at the edge. I just couldn’t do it — force her to keep explaining that he was a boy despite the pink edge. So I decided to knit the hat in Xavier colorway instead (same yarn base). I finished a Sweet Norwegian Baby Cap in Xavier pretty quickly — but it seemed small to me, after modifying it to a newborn size, thinking about his birthweight. (The circumference seemed okay, but it seemed shallow.)
In a fit of pique, I decided to scrap the whole hat idea, go back to using the Ravelry colorway, and knit something else (to be shown shortly). But at the last minute, I decided to try a hat one more time, but using cushy-soft, squishy “Duchess” yarn base, which is a DK weight superwash wool yarn, and using my “Grow-With-Me” baby hat pattern for insurance against big ol’ heads growing fast. I used the Braider colorway. And it worked! The photography above kind of bites, but the hat isn’t bad!
But here’s what I did knit up from the Ravelry colorway, though in squooshy “Duchess” DK weight also:
Thing number 2, a gender-neutral BUNNY!
(Big Ol’ Bunny Butt comin’ up!)
The tail is made of local angora/alpaca chain-stitched on. The pattern is from Heartstrings, free/voluntary donation; it’s actually just a square, cleverly sewn together, with separately sewn ears. I did use the modified ears separately mentioned with the pattern, which seem to stay up better, and I did my own tail version as above since this was for a baby, rather than pulling stuffing through for the tail (which is what the original pattern called for).
I like this little bunny. I hope The Hulk does too.
Or at least, perhaps when he’s a little older!
Today was a gorgeous day here: high in the high 20s, but sunshine which melted some of the snow it shone on, particularly on the roads. I worked this morning, but this afternoon, I drove the Gothlet out to a sleepover she was invited to: a house I’d never been to, way out in one of the coulees tucked in between the bluffs. And wow, am I glad I did, despite the fact that my little car couldn’t make it all the way up the driveway….it was so beautiful.
Here are a few Saturday Sky pictures from this afternoon (I’m saving a few for later, though!)
and one from my backyard too.